Posted by: JANET | 2008-11-02

I am 51 years old female and have been suffering for since puberty from most of the symptoms of hypothyroidism (dry skin, obesity, high cholesterol, depression, no energy, red eyes, alcohol intolerance, meta-carpal, intolerance of heat and cold, sweating, low sex drive, including palpitations and arrhythmia) Most doctors said that my TSH readings of 6.8 was within normal limits so never treated me. Recently I landed up hospital with very irregular heartbeat - I saw a cardiologist who tested my thyroid and he advised that I had Hypothyroidism as my TSH reading was 6.8 and should only be between 0.2 and 3.3. I also had a scan of my Thyroid which revealed 5 nodules on the thyroid. The cardiologist prescribed half of a 0.05 mg of Eltroxin tab each day. My TSH did come down to 2.8. I feel better but my question is this - the lowest dose of Eltroxin starts at 0.05mg and it is very difficult to break this tab in half even with a pill cutter - it just crumbles and I end up taking bits and pieces of tab which I am sure is not always the correct does. Now my question is this, if I was to take the lowest dose of 0.05mg instead of half the tablet, would this cause me any harm? BTW, I have gained weight in the meantime as well. Please advise

Dear Janet

Thank you for visiting

I do not think that it will really make a difference but to be on the safe side, I recommend that you contact the cardiologist and discuss the matter with him, as he knows your medical history.

Kind regards