Question
Posted by: Samantha | 2011-01-10

Hypothyroid

Please I am desperately looking for advice on how to lose weight with a Hypothyroid ( Under active thyroid ) any help or suggestions welcome!

Dear Samantha
I trust that the dr who diagnosed your hypothyroidism has prescribed the necessary thyroid hormone replacement therapy (e.g. medications like Eltroxin)? If not, Please go back to the dr to discuss treatment options. It can also take up to 3 months for thyroid hormone levels to stabilise. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day. The exercise is particularly beneficial as it will stimulate your metabolism that had become sluggish due to the lack of thyroid hormone.

2
Posted by: Samantha | 2011-01-17

Hi Diet Doc

Yes I am on eltroxin 200mg I think however when I started the meds I started to lose weight then I don''t know what went wrong but I then started to gradually gain weight again. Do you think my dose maybe wrong? I have got a doctors appointment and will be asking him to do another blood test to check.

Reply to Samantha
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-01-10

Dear Samantha