Question
Posted by: Zorina | 2010/08/23

Hypothyriodism and weight loss

Hi Doc,
My thyriod was removed a year ago and i have ever since been struggling with my weight, I always thought that i ate fairly healthy, i excersise three times a week for an hour at a time, but it seems to be doing nothing. I am contemplating seeing a dietician, do you think it would be of any help?

Dear Zorina
Hypothyroidism can indeed make losing weight difficult. I would recommend that you consult the dr who is treating you with Eltroxin and ask him/her to check if you are on the correct dose and if not, to adjust the dose for you. I think it would help for you to see a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assess your diet, energy intake and weight and provide you with a suitable slimming diet. Aerobic exercise like jogging, skipping, swimming, cycling or rowing helps to stimulate a sluggish metabolism, so make sure that you concentrate on this type of exercise when you do your hour of exercise 3 times a week.

1

Dear Zorina