Question
Posted by: Suzanne | 2010/01/06

Hypomanic and thyroid functions

Dear Cybershrink, I am currenly hypomanic - decreased sleep, shopping , can' t sit still, cleaning house at 03 30 in the morning etc. I had my thyroid functions checked and my T4 is 22. Previously when I was manic they said the T4 was too high. My GP says it' s normal. The TSH wa apparently normal and t4 can go up to 24 according to the GP.. I did take the Eltroxin 0.1ug and Diotroxin 1 tab the morning before the test. Do you think I should discuss the results with my Shrink? He already increased my Geodon to 160mg and I' m also on Topamax and Epitec. I have calmed down slightly since the increase. Your advice would be much appreciated.

Assesing thyroid function a this level of complexity should not be managed by a GP, and should be dealt with by a good local specialist physicial. If there was any issue of your thyroid hormones levels being too high, I don't understand why you would be taking supplementary doses of them.
High levels of thyroid function wouldn't help the symptoms of hypomania and could complicate the management of bipolar disorder- so yes, do indeed discuss this with your shrink, and ask about referral to a good specialist physician

1