Question
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2008/10/09

hypoglycemic child

My daughter aged 10years has been diagnosed as hypoglycemic. The doctor has prescribed her to use progesterone and testosterone cream, once a day for 15 days as she says that hormones and insulin levels are linked. I am very weary of this as there is a history of breast cancer in my family and I do not want to start interfering with her homones at such a young age. Please give me your thoughts on this.

Many thanks

Dear Concerned Mom
I have never heard that one treats hypoglycemia in a child with progesterone and testosterone cream, I agree 100% with your feeling of being wary - rather take her to a paediatrician for a second opinion. I would put her on a low GI diet with small meals 6 times a day to try and stabilize her blood sugar. Her fasting insulin and blood sugar levels will need to be checked with a blood test to see if she needs specific supplemental medication. Operations are rarely if ever necessary.
See http://www.uchicagokidshospital.org/online-library/content=P01960

1
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2008/10/10

Thank you. I agree - it just did not seem right!

Reply to Concerned Mom