Question
Posted by: Smi!!!!! | 2008/09/29

Hypnotherapy - Agoraphobia

I was advised to go for a hypnotheraphy with regard to the phobia I have (Agoraphobia) would you reccommend the hypnotheraphy. I know that I should see the psychotherapist but it is a long process as to Hypnoytherapy. Please advise.

No competent expert authority on enarth would consider Hypnotherapy, on its own, to be the best treatment for Agoraphobia, or anything else. That is a fact. We do have a resident ghost in this forum, calling himnself Homeopsych, who adores hypnosis and recommends it for just about everything. But he is not any recognized authority. Hypnosis is not magic and does not in a couple of sessions cure anything --- be very wary of people who advertise themselves as Hypnotherapists --- never trust someone with only one tool in their toolbox.
Lengthy psychotherapy would be of no use either. What DOEs work, and there is a lot of good evidence that it produces lasting benefits, is Cognitive-Behaviour Thrapy, CBT, which does not take long, and should be recommended by any competent shrink. Some medications also used to treat Depression, can also be most helpful.
DOn't diagnose yourself and decide on the best treatment on your own. DO see a good local GENERAL psychiatrist for a thorough assessment and a discusion of a range of treatment options.

5
Posted by: My 2 cents | 2008/09/30

Smi. Don' t know if you are still going to read a message here, but I went for hypnosis at a trained professional psychologist (she is also a trainer in hypnosis) and it was a big waste of my time and money. I went for a lot of sessions, and she even used me as an example in a class she was giving (that was ' wonderful'  with my agoraphobia), but it only got worse over time. I would never advise anyone to go for hypnotherapy.

Reply to My 2 cents
Posted by: Lin | 2008/09/29

Hello Smi.

Call your housedoc and ask for a referral. Cybershrink can' t keep tabs on all the psychiatrists/psychologists in SA.

PS: Once a doc responds, he/she can' t have a look at the post again, so if you want to ask another question, you' ll have to repost.

Have a great day!

Reply to Lin
Posted by: SMi!!! | 2008/09/29

CS. Please reccomend a Psychiatrist/Pshychotherapist around Johannesburg that I can Go to. I stay in Johannesburg South.

Reply to SMi!!!
Posted by: HomoeoPsych | 2008/09/29

Hi Smi!!!!!

Aha, so that' s what happened - CS deleted my original posting so that he could sneak his response in ahead of mine! Ag, shame.

In considering his reply, please bear in mind that CS blithely ignores or discounts any " authority"  who does not agree with him. It appears that if you support his point of view, then you are " competent" , but if you don' t, you are somehow " not competent" . Please do go back into the archives &  have a look at all of the recognized authorities I have quoted in the past to verify this statement. CS, of course, never cites anyone other than his own august opinion.

If you check the archives on this forum, you' ll find that CS doesn' t seem to believe that hypnosis is of any use for anything at all. The fact that my colleagues who make use of hypnosis tend to have very busy practices appears to escape him entirely! The practical reality is that psychologists who do bad therapy go out of business because the vast majority of referrals in actual practice come by word of mouth. If a therapist doesn' t help you, you are unlikely to refer your friends &  family, not so?

Go well

Reply to HomoeoPsych
Posted by: HomoeoPsych | 2008/09/29

Hi Smi!!!!!

Interesting - my original posting seems to have been deleted. I guess I' ll just have to try again!

Phobias in general tend to respond very well to hypnotherapy. Agoraphobia can be a bit tricky depending on the underlying causes, but generally also responds well.

Those of us who make use of clinical hypnosis in therapy find that using hypnosis tends to result in a more brief &  effective therapy. Making use of hypnosis also has the very real advantage of being ale to incorporate various approaches to therapy (such as NLP, CBT, indirect approaches such as the Ericksonian interventions or even analytical, regressive approaches, should this prove necessary) if the initial approach is unsuccessful for some reason.

If you do choose to make use of hypnosis, please make sure that you consult a properly trained &  registered psychologist (or other mental health professional), rather than one of the numerous " master hypnotherapists"  out there, who tend to be poorly trained &  not registered with any statutory, controlling body, such as the HSPCSA.

go well

Reply to HomoeoPsych