Question
Posted by: Smoke Free | 2008/10/09

Hypnotherapy

Hi CS

I have decided that I want &  need to give up smoking. I no longer enjoy it and don' t think I have, in a very long time. I am unfortunately one of the " weak"  ones that cannot just stop. I have tried numerous ways with no success and am now desperate. I decided to make an appointment to see a reputable hypnotherapist but I am pretty nervous and don' t know what to expect. I know that he will explain whilst I' m there but is there any chance you could enlighten me on any knowledge you may have on this form of therapy.

Good decision to give up smoking, and you need to do it in a proper way, not looking for magic which is what the thought up hypnotherapy suggests. You can stop, and part of your problem is that you keep telling yourself that you are week and can't stop. I know rather a lot about hypnosis and don't recommend it EVER as a single therapy for ANYTHING ; only occasionally as PART of a range of treatments can it be helpful in some circumstances.
The regular methods for stopping smoking, which a good CBT therapist could work through with you, perhaps combined with one of the more recent medications, could be more likely to remain effective, rather than being temporarily amusing and entertaining.
DO note that this site is infested ( like a wooden fence might be infested with woodworm ) with a nut calling himself Homoeopsych who it utterly devoted to hypnosis and recommends it constantly and in preference to more proved and reliably effective methods. For your own safety, ignore anything he might add to this discussion of your question

3
Posted by: Rose | 2008/10/13

I went for hyponotherapy. Not to stop smoking, but for weight loss. It didn' t work, my dear. My mom went to stop smoking, It did not work. These were two different (registered) practioners.

Reply to Rose
Posted by: Ja | 2008/10/10

2,5 years later - no cravings or longing back for smokes! Try AllenCarrs EasyWay - Giving up isn' t easy, but staying off IS!!!
BTW - I tried EVERYTHING ELSE - patches, zyban, sprays, chinese ear therapy, smoke enders - you name it.

Reply to Ja
Posted by: Sumanda | 2008/10/09

Dear Smoke Free,

I agree with CS. Speak to your GP regarding medication that will help you quit. I used medication 5 years ago to quit and with the added incentive of pregnancy and breastfeeding managed to stop the urge to start again. Although the medication will help with the purely physical addictiveness of cigarettes, you do need to work on the psychological side. Try one of the support groups that are out there.

I' ll pray for your success!

Reply to Sumanda