Question
Posted by: miekie re.1143 | 2010-07-29

Hypnosis for pain management

Good day prof.
Thanks for info. My question for today is about hypnosis for pain management. Does it work and is it dangerous for my wellbeing? I am doing relaxing teqniques and exercises at home being taught by my psychiatrist. I still have pain though and I feel desperate for answers. I am not coping because I can''t sleep and function properly. I am trying to find solutions without meds. that makes me feel like a zombie or making me feel bad. My medical aid''s funds are completely depleted and the year is not nearly finished. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Hypnosis is very rarely the best SINGLE was of helping, but as PART of a plan to help deal with chronic pain, it can indeed be useful. Relaxation exercises are a very helpful form of low-key hypnosis and can be most helpful, and are not dangerous at all. They can help one to relieve one's own pain, partly if not entirely, and whereas tension worsens any pain, relaxation helps reduce the unpleasant impact of the pain. And it can help one to get to sleep.
And it has the advantage that IF the therqapist has the sense to teach you how to do it for yourself ( rather than unwisely encouraging you to be dependent on HIm to do it for you ) it's a method you can learn to take home and do for yourself.
I can't really comment beyond that, as much depends on the exact nature of the pain, its causes, and the effects of the various interventions that have been tried so far, things presumably your doc has taken into account

1