Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2011/03/17

Hypnosis

Dear CS

My therapist/family life coach (he is highly qualified and was head of an academic unit) wants to use hypnosis to help me with some issues in my past that I haven''t been able to sort out with cbt. I have never been hypnotised before and am a bit apprehensive, although completely prepared and committed to do this. What can I expect? And what is your opinion on this?

Sorry, I do not recognize the value or qualifications of "life coach" ( I wasn't aware there were any academic units in Life Coaching at any good university ). There is simply NO good evidence that the use of hypnosis is effective in dealing with issues in one's past, for a variety of very good reasons, and I still never recommend any attempts at hypnosis other than by a fully trained and qualified psychiatrist or clinical psychologist, as lesser trained people are not trained to handle any unfortunate possible bad reations to attempts at hypnosis, nor are they fully qualified to make reliable diagnoses in the first place.
I used to use hypnosis myself, years ago, but always as part of a comprehensive psychiatric plan for treatment of a formal diagnosis rather than a general fishing expedition. So I am not opposed to its use IF done by an otherwise fully wualified psychiatrist or clinical psychologist, and IF a part of a comprehensive treatment plan drawn up by such a fully qualified person.

1