Question
Posted by: Samantha | 2011/03/16

Hypnosis

Hi Cybershrink

I am rather nervous about hypnosis.
I have 3 issues and I thinking about going to see one.
1) I must lose weight. Struggle with willpower. I know what to do
I just keep failing.
2) Started menopause - not handling it too well.
On HRT, Cipralex 15mg per day.
3) Have anger issues. Mostly past family issues. I did
go for counselling but I don''t think it is all sorted.

Will Hypnosis help me do you think?

Sam

I never ever recommend Hypnosis as a sole treatment, nor do I ever recommend treatment from someone calling themselves a Hypnotherapist, or someone lacking full qualifications in psychiatry or clinical psychologiy, who ofers to "do hypnosis".
It is greatly over-rated as a magical treatment or substitute for effort and wilpower. While there is some evidence for the specific CBT form of counselling being effective in the sort of problem you describe, I know of no good evidence that hypnosis alone would help in any of the conditions you describe. It doesn't deal with past family issues ( if it does try, then it's not hypnosis any more )

1