Question
Posted by: Help | 2010/07/09

Hypnosis

Does Hypnosis help with addictions? I''ve been going for CBT therapy for 10 weeks and since I started my addiction has gone through the roof. Its getting uncontrolable to the point were I dont want to do anything about it, I just want to drink all day long. Can hypnosis help to get control over this?

No. I know o ansolutely no competent or recognized exprt in the management of addictions who would recoomend hypnosis in its treatment, and I know of no recognized expert textbook which would recommend it, either.
From your comment, I gather your addiction is to Alcohol ? Again, hypnotism is not recommended for treating alcoholism. I have nevber heard of anyone reacting to CBT properly conducted by any worsening of their alcholism or other addiction, and this is something you should discuss fairly urgently with your CBT therapist. Maybe that treatment needs to be modified from whatever way he/she is doing it, to deal with this aspect of your problems.
Hypnosis is not a mahical or quick cure for things. Where a version of it may be helpful, and any good pychologist or psychiatrist should be able to provide this, is to help you to learn self-relaxation techniques, which can help you to calm yourself instead of using whatever substance your addiction is based on

1