I' m seriously thinking of going for some hypnotheraphy in a bid to increase my self confidence. Does it really work?

No, it is really the wrong approach to dealing with self-confidence. What DOES work very well indeed is CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, and the Anxiety-Depression Support Group ( number on this page ) can help you find some of the shrinks who provide this.
If you insist on going for hypnotherapy ( remembering that there is no good scientific evidence that it is safe and works well, unlike CBT ) then NEVER accept sych treatment from anyone who is not a fully trained psychologist or psychiatrist able also to offer other treatments. if they would suit you better

apparently it opens your mind to the spirit world and leaves a door wide open for spiritual beings to enter your mind...much like drugs.

so some say...anyway