Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2012-02-23

Hypno Birthing

Hi Cybie
Went for my first hypno birthing class last night, I do find the techniques very similar in some ways with cognitive behavior therapy as it teaches you to take the ‘ fear’  out of a situation and prepare yourself through staying calm, some breathing techniques and trusting the process and being positive to deal with a situation, in this case natural birth.
How if you prepare youself and learn to stay calm and positive, your body and mind follows.
I must say I also applaud my gynae who only really had one message and that is, trust the process as you can only really know at 37 weeks what the little one will do and how it will come into the world.
Don’ t read too much and have too many plans.
Sorry babbling a bit here but the process has been such an eye opening experience and yes I will def continue with this after the little “ jellybean”  came into the world.
I have peace that My Higher Power and Jellybean will decide how she will make her entrance into the world and then I will step in and play my roll.
Only 12 weeks to go. Super excited.

I think in some quarters "hypno" sounds cool and a good sales point. As you say, what you're describing sounds very much based on sound CBT principles, and not very "hypno"!
And of course as I have always said, SELF-hypnosis, in the sense of deliberate deep relaxation, has always been recognized as useful, and is empowering, in contrast to the typical self-qualified Hypnotherapist who takes control, and who is often sought out by people wanting just that.
Good preparation, knwoing what happens and how, and being encouraged to take control so far as possible of your reactions, has always been the basis of good midwifery.
I do agree, too, with your gynae about not reading too much ( as beyond the essentials, it tends to get one worrying about even wildly improbable rarities, rather than on becoming competent and the usual events.
And also not over-doing the planning. I never forget one of the first births I assisted at, just at the crucial mements, the mother clamped her knees together and announced : "I have changed my mind, and I do not, after all, intend to have a child". We had to rapidly and kindly persuade her that she had passed the point of no return, and actually everything went very well indeed.
Regards to you and jellybean.

2
Posted by: No turning back | 2012-02-23

As CS patient and any woman will tell you giving birth is agony. But everyone gets born and the mothrs live to tell the tail.
All will be well ,good luck.

Reply to No turning back

Regards to you and jellybean.