Question
Posted by: Elizabeth | 2011/04/09

HYPERURECEMIA AND MUCH MORE

Like reader in question 352 I also have too much acid in my blood, I however have osteo-arthiritis and I am insulin resistant as well as have polycystic ovarian syndrome - to top it all off I have high blood pressure controlled by furosemide 40mg and amlodipine and on top of all of that I drink anti-depressants fluoxetine (20mg) and mood stabilisers tegretol 200mg.

The cherry on top of all of this is I have several allergies as well for instance mushrooms  food colourants and additives as well as to some anti-biotics

I am horribly overweight and just cannot seem to lose the weight.

I was on Dr. Atkins diet and was in constant pain - I am on puricos  meloxicam and colchicine for about a month now and am supposed to repeat these for 6 months.

I have to lose weight so that my knees and ankles do not suffer as much but I just cannot seem to lose it.

I have been on weight less and anything else and I am really desperate by now.

Please help!

Dear Elizabeth
I am sorry to hear that you have osteo-arthritis, insulin resistance, PCOS, high bp, food allergies and have to take antidepressants and a mood stabiliser. This is indeed a complex medical situation and I trust that you are under constant medical supervision and receiving treatment for the osteo-arthritis, PCOS, high bp and insulin resistance. Because of the complexity of your conditions, I would urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for you that addresses all your conditions and medications and also assists with weightloss. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet, so please consult a dietitian ASAP. If you click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and do searches using the key terms of each condition (e.g. Insulin resistance) then you will find articles outlining the dietary treatment of the different conditions.
I do hope that you will soon start feeling better and lose weight.

1

Dear Elizabeth