Posted by: Leo | 2009-03-11

I have recently been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and was given a radioactive iodine treatment which I was told will ' biltonise' (destroy) my thyroid cells, after which I will have to take eltroxin for the rest of my life. I was informed that this is the only method to treat hyperthyroidism and there is no alternative treatment available. Is this true, and if not, what alternative treatment is available for me.

Dear Leo
If your thyroid gland is destroyed by the radioactive iodine you will have no cells left to produce thyroid hormone which is probably the most important hormone in the body. The thyroid gland has been described as the 'conductor' of the 'orchestra of the body', without thyroid hormone most of our metabolic systems stop functioning. You will need to take thyroid hormone replacement therapy for the rest of your life by taking medications such as Eltroxin. Any of the other alternative treatments will not work (e.g. taking kelp or iodine drops, etc, because the cells of the thyroid gland which could react to them, will be gone). So do take your Eltroxin as prescribed otherwise you will develop hypothyroidism which is just as unpleasant as the hyperthyroidism you have at the moment.
Please keep in mind that it can take up to 3 months for the thyroid hormone replacement therapy to start working and that you may have to go back to the dr if your dose needs adjusting.
Holding thumbs that you soon feel much better.