Question
Posted by: Sunshine | 2008/08/06

Hypertensive and Overweight

Dear Diet Doc
I am a 22 year old young woman who weighs about 120kg. I am so dispondent because I am on chronic medication for my hypertensive condition and the Dr told me it is because of my weight. I get much support from my boyfriend where this is concern but I am not happy with my figure. I cannot afford to go to gym or even to a dietician as it costs too much. I am still living with my parents. I would also like to lose about 40kg. I just want to feel how it feels to weigh 80kg or even 85kg again. I have never been thin (slender) in my life. I dont want to use tablets that helps reduce my appetite or things like Bio-Slim or anything like that. I would just please like you to help me. I am young and I want to do things that other young people my age does and not get tired very quickly. No one knows how I feel deep down inside me, I cry at times. I dont want to starve myself because I need to eat because of my health condition. I am pleading with you to please assist me with foods I can eat or maybe a diet aI can follow that will not affect my hypertension but will help me lose weight (the sooner the better). I am really serious about this. Please help:' (
Waiting on your response
Sunshine

Dear Sunshine
There is a diet called the "DASH Diet' that was specifically developed for individuals suffering from hypertension. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on ' 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet. Because this is also a low-fat diet it should promote weightloss. However, you obviously need to lose such a great deal of weight that it may be an idea to contact one of the teaching hospitals (e.g. Pretoria Academic or the Joburg General or Tygerberg hospital) to find out if they have an Obesity Clinic where you can obtain assistance. You may require bariatric surgery to lose such a large amount of weight. When you have started to lose weight and are more mobile, you can add daily physical activity to your programme - for example going for a 30 min walk every day and later on buying a skipping rope and skipping for 30 min daily (no need to join a gym). Increase the pace of your exercise and how long you exercise as you lose weight and get fitter.
Holding thumbs for you