Posted by: Bee | 2009-07-08

Hypertension / High blood pressure

Hi doc, I' m being treated for high blood pressure for the last 3 and half weeks without the pressure lowering it remains in the area of 153/100, 164/98, 154/94. I am on 2.5mg daptril &  5mg amlodipine. Should I be overly concerned &  at what stage should I seek a physician' s help? Also what are the long term effects of persistently high bp?

Hallo Bee
Firstly - it sometimes takes 4-6 weeks before one really sees the effects of blood pressure medication - so you can give it a bit more time. If needed your doctor can add a low dose diuretic like Moduretic to this combination. High blood pressure can cause damage to your kidneys, brain and eyes over the long term. Folk remedy : take a teaspoon of honey each morning as supplement to your medication if you are not diabetic. See your doctor again in about 2 weeks time - write down the blood pressures as you take it daily so that he can get an idea of how it is going.