Question
Posted by: ASD | 2010-07-05

Hypertension - DASH diet, exercise

Hi CyberDoc

I am a 41 yr old male and been diagnosed to be pre-hypertensive. My BMI is 30.7 and I am not that active, have some stress, have an older sibling on hypertension medication, but my heart is fine after doing a stress ECG.

I have started the DASH diet and increased exercise to about 30 mins a day. I really do not want to go on the meds unless absolutely necessary and want to give these lifestyle changes a good shot to see if BP drops closer to normal - do I need 1 month, 2 months to see an impact? Any other advice perhaps?

Dear ASD
I think you are doing absolutely all the right things - you can give it at least 6-12 weeks to gauge the impact.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-07-05

Dear ASD