Question
Posted by: jeanette may | 2010-05-31

Hypertension and healthy eating

Since being told I have high BP, I went on a healthy eating plan (instead of taking medication), which consists of potassium veggies and fruit, and running or exercise bike for 30 minutes 3 times a week. I lost of couple of Kgs but I really don''t have a weight problem. I have been doing this plan for 10 months. During the last 5 months I have had 3 very sore throats leading to bad coughs. I have been having Activia yoghurt with a banana every day for 5 months at lunch and having more milk rather than coffee creamer in tea rather than coffee. I never used to get so sick so often and wondered if I was having too much dairy. I don''t eat any meat either but try to make up for it by eating chick peas and lentils. By the way my BP has come down so I am quite chuffed with myself in that regard. I am 61. Can you advise.

Dear Jeanette
I am glad to hear that you bp has come down thanks to the intake of vegetables, fruit and dairy products. Dairy products do not reduce immunity and they form the backbone of the so-called DASH Diet that was developed in the USA for the treatment of hypertension. The fact that you have cut out all meat may be causing an iron deficiency which can reduce your immunity. Ask your doctor to check if you don't perhaps suffer from anaemia. Other causes of repeated respiratory infections include exposure to an infection source, overexertion during exercise and a locus of infection in areas like the throat (e.g. tonsils if you should still have them). Let the dr check these factors too. Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read more about the DASH Diet.