Question
Posted by: bonsai | 2009-03-18

Hypertension and exercise

I am 35 years of age, doctor told me I have blood pressure problems and should change my eating habits,lifestyle and exercise. I got such a fright when he explained how over a million South African people had the silent killer and where not aware. Any who, have done the following to live a healthier life. Stopped smoking , drinking has become almost non existent, walk more than I drive.. eat healthy foods, with less fat and less salt.. Gym 5 times a week, aerobics class for 5 days. I do not like medicine but take it anyway, do you think this is enough....do I need other suppliments.. like immune booster or something....and how and were do I get myself a High blood checking machine.. prefarebly a portable one...

Thank you.
Bonsai

Hi Bonsai

Medication is the first imprortant thing. Even exercise is not prescribed unless the problem is somewhat under control, so you have to be on that.

I'm not going to comment too much on the supplements, the immune boosters and so forth, because to me, it's a question of getting the medication sorted out to control the problem, then doing regular exercise to improve the situation and topping it off with diet to prevent it from happening again.

It sounds as though you have made all the right lifestyle moves, so good for you! That's a great start and you just need to keep it up and make it habit. And I know you don't like meds, but stick for now, and eventually that will also be changeable. You may find that you no longer need them in a few months.

Finally, for a BP machine, the only thing I can suggest is a pharmacy, I really don't know where you might buy one.

1
Posted by: Swimmer | 2009-03-19

Wow, thats amazing, good on you. I also have hypertension but do not do as much as you, I do what I can. Very well done. BP machines you can get at your local chemist, if you have a letter from your GP you can get it through your medical aid (if you are on one).

Reply to Swimmer