Posted by: ML | 2012-07-30

Hypertension &  Diabetes &  Triphasil/Trigestrel

Good morning Doc

I''ve been hypertensive for a couple years now. Currently taking Pharmapress Co. Two months ago I was diagnosed with Diabetes and started taking Glucophage. Due to severe gastro-intestinal problems, my doctor changed it to Glycomin last week. On Friday I went to my clinic to have my normal script of Triphasil filled, but they gave me Trigestrel instead and told me it''s the same as Triphasil. The sister told me that with my hypertension, I should actuallly not be taking a 3-phased pill. When I read the leaflet, it also stated that Trigestrel should be taken with care in patients with hypertension and diabetes.

What now? I''ve been on Triphasil for years since I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 18 (I am now 37).

Yes, the hormone contraceptive pill is not indicated for patients with hypertension. You should consult your doctor to discuss another form of contraception. An intra-uterine device will be more effective to eliminate the negative effect of oral contraceptives. If the oral contraceptive is the best way to control PCOS, I suggest that your doctor manage your hypertension.