Posted by: Sleeper Agent | 2011-08-16

Hypersomnia, EDS and Hashimoto''s Thyrioditis

After 6 years of crippling hypersomnia, Excessive Daytime Sleepiness and cognitive problems (and many suggested causes and unsuccessful treatments and tests) I''ve been diagnosed with Hashimoto''s Thyrioditis based on TPO + T4 bloodtests. Sleep problems of varying degrees ocurring in conjuntion with thyroid disorders seem to be well documented. Is Thyrioditis likely to be the main cause of my symptoms? If so, why does Hashimoto''s Thyrioditis cause disruption of sleep? Can these symptoms be expected to improve by treating thyrioditis alone?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Just about any medical condition - or its treatment - can affect and be affected by sleep disorders.

Considering what you have described, I would think it advisable to have a sleep test done - it is a simple procedure and may show up an additional cause of your sleepiness. There is no law which says you can't have two independent medical conditions, and the mere fact that you have a thyroid problem does not exclude the possibility of a sleep disorder as well.

Posted by: Sleeper Agent | 2011-08-17

Hello again. Just to elaborate, I’ m a 30 year-old, Caucasian male, 1,7m tall, 58 kg. I have occasional insomnia too, which fits the way Hashimoto’ s works. Here’ s the bind: I’ ve done 4 polysomnograms already without definitive results. I’ ve already consulted a sleep expert who tried to establish sub-clinical insomnia and narcolepsy without success. He’ s basically told me he’ s out of ideas. I’ ve been on CPAP and had an ENT exam. I’ ve been told I might have clinical depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, Type 2 Diabetes, hypoglycaemia, Restless Legs Syndrome, sleep apnea, early on-set Parkinson’ s or Alzheimer’ s. I’ ve taken several types of anti-depressants. I’ ve been screened for anaemia, Lupus and radiation poisoning. The Endocrinologist stopped short of doing a CAT scan of my brain when discovering Hashimoto’ s Disease, which is the only diagnosis so far based on hard evidence. I’ ve spent a lot of time barking up the wrong trees and I’ d like to avoid that from now on. People think I’ m exaggerating my symptoms and that it’ s psychosomatic. It’ s not. I’ ve been unable to work productively for years, despite the desire to do so. I can only vaguely remember what it’ s like to wake up refreshed. I had a brief period of symptom relief (about 2 and a half weeks) three years ago while taking Rivotril for RLS. Unfortunately, the symptoms slowly returned and stayed despite increasing the dose. RLS, hypoglycaemia, apnea and insomnia are all mimicked by known thyrioditis symptoms. I’ m taking Melatonin, Vit D, Zinplex and Euthyrox. After 6 weeks my TSH is down from 3.53 to 1.41 and T4 up from 9.4 to 10.4 with no improvement in symptoms. That’ s not encouraging. So, if it’ s not the Hashimoto’ s, what then?

Reply to Sleeper Agent