Question
Posted by: Liezel | 2008/09/24

Hyperinsulin

I' m a 23 year old female, and on my last visit to the GYN, she found that my progesterone is low, but it' s caused by high levels of insulin. What can be causing this, as I don' t really eat carbs, and I don' t overindulge in sweets? is this the same as insulin resistance????HELP!!!!

Dear Liezel
It is possible that you have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which is characterised by high insulin levels and changes in female hormone levels. I would suggest that you ask the Gynae to sit down with you and explain all the different aspects of this condition to you and what treatment options you can use. For the high insulin levels it essential to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your hyperinsulinaemia and other conditions such as PCOS, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).