Question
Posted by: Jennifer Hattingh | 2009-12-05

Hyperglycaemia and Candida...

Hello,

I have a range of questions that I hope you can help me find a solution to. Here' s a bit of background for you:

I' m 28 years of age. I' ve had Hyperglycaemia since I was a child. Once diagnosed, I hadn' t been affected much while growing up, my parents made sure I had the correct diet, and I' ve tried to maintain that diet in adulthood.

I thought things had sorted themselves out, but this year has made me realise maybe not...

I lost a bit of weight earlier this year rather suddenly due to stress, I think it was approx. 8kgs, and ever since I' ve had trouble with my digestion and sugar levels.

I went to my homeopath, and she diagnosed Candida. I' ve since deleted wheat, cow' s dairy and sugar (incl. alcohol) from my diet which has worked a treat thus far, but I' m finding that I' m always hungry now - always.

I have a very physically demanding job, so I make sure that the energy I put into my body will keep me going for a good few hours, but since cutting all these things out of my diet, and trying to find alternatives, I' m coming short a bit!

Also, I' ve noticed my sugar levels are playing up, where I dip more and more often, it happens at least once a week at the moment, whereas before it only happened a few times a year.

Is there any advice you can give me or a link to a website I can go to? I' m based in London at the moment.

I hope you can help.

Kind regards,

Jennifer

Dear Jennifer
The problem is that you are in London. If you were in SA, I would recommend that you consult your nearest dietitian, and although I know that there are dietitians in the UK, I am not sure if they see private patients? Try and find out if you can see a dietitian either on that Health System they have or a private one. You need a dietitian to work out what is called a low glycaemic index (GI) diet for you that provides sufficient energy to keep you going and also to make sure that cutting out the milk and dairy is not causing a calcium deficiency! Adapting to a low-GI diet is quite tricky and seeing that you have cut out milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese, it is difficult to prescribe a low-GI diet over the Internet. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. You may also be able to buy books in the UK about low-GI eating or order one via the South African The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com and ask if they can advise if the series of books on 'Eating for sustain energy' are available in the UK.
I hope this helps

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-12-06

Dear Jennifer
I hope this helps