Posted by: CD | 2009-03-25

Hello Doc,

I had a breast reduction operation three weeks ago. About a week and a half ago the area under my armpits and across my chest became painfully senstive. I cannot bear having anything touch my skin and am in unbearable pain which is worse in the late afternoon / evening. Even drinking cold water is painful. My surgeon diagnosed me with hyperesthesia but I can' t seem to find relevant information on this condition. Please can you advise whether you know anything about hyperesthesia and its causes - I am concerned about a mis diagnosis. I have been prescribed Neurexal for a month and Pulmison for 12 days.
Thank you very much.

Dear CD
If the skin is not red or swollen and the scar is healing nicely, this could be due to neuropathy of the superficial skin nerves that was cut through during the operation. It may be a good idea to get a second opinion anyway just to ensure that something serious is not being missed.