Question
Posted by: Dawn Schlorf | 2011/02/23

hyperactive thyroid

Dear CyberDoc,
I was diagnosed with a very hyperactive thyroid. The doctor prescribed NeoMercazole. I am having terrible side effects from the medication, vomiting, diarrhea, hair loss &  zinc taste in my mouth. He changed the dose from 30 mg per day to 10mg, but I still feel sick. I’ ve only been on the tabs for 2 1/2 weeks. I am very overweight –  132 kg and did not loose weight even although this is normal with hyperactive thyroid, I have all the other symptoms except high blood pressure, mine is very low sometimes going to 80/40-30.
I am confused. The test was done twice and it is HYPER. Do you think I should go to an endocrine Specialist as I have in the past also had very high cortisol levels.
I would appreciate your input.
Dawn Schlorf

Dear Dawn
If you can't cope with the medication, other treatments may need to be considered, like radioactive Iodene or surgery. It may be a good idea to see an endocrinologist.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/24

Dear Dawn