Posted by: John | 2009-04-30

Hyper tension (Slightly elevated Blood Pressure)

My blood pressure was checked at a pharmacy, and I was told that it is 139 over 90 which aparently is slightly elevated. Can I take a natural remedy to lower the blood pressure, if so, what should I take/

Dear John
You should never treat "high" blood pressure on a single reading only - even people with normal blood pressure can have higher pressure if stressed, feeling ill, after the morning traffic or when in pain. Rather have it tested daily for a week and if the average above is still above 140 and the average bottom is above 90, it should be treated. I would not recommend natural remedies for this - there are very effective, well tested and safe medications available to treat hypertension. The Natural medications are not always scientifically tested, the manufacturing is not as closely monitored and the dosages are not always constant or consistent. It is fine to use as supplements but not always recommended as treatment.