Question
Posted by: traci | 2011/01/06

HYPER PIGMENTATION

What causes hyper-pigmentation ? i have it on my cheek im 35 years old and what various treatment options are available and are they successful?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Traci, thank you for the question and my apologies for the long delay with my response but I have just come back from leave.

There are a number of causes for hyperpigmentation: sun damage, post inflammatory effect following trauma and any inflammatory changes to the skin, and hormonal changes. The predominant cause is sun damage or excessive sun (UV) exposure and as such your first and most important treatment is a good SPF 50 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide applied several times daily (especially in summer). The removal of pigmentation can be achieved with topical products (Lumixyl, NeoStrata Depigmenting Cream & Brightening Cream, etc.) and superficial glycolic acid peels. If the pigment is deep one may need to consider IPL or fractional skin resurfacing. Hormonally induced pigmentation (Melasma) may be very difficult to remove and when considering technology one needs to be careful as most IPL machines may aggravate the Melasma.

Your best option would be to consult a cosmetic dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner with a special interest in pigmentation so that one can examine the skin and even perform a VISIA skin analysis so that the correct treatment regime may be recommended.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011/01/20

Reply to anti-ageing expert