Posted by: Claire | 2009-09-17

hyper extensive.

I practise yoga daily and my shoulders are hyper extensive. As a result each time I move my shoulders they click. I often need to rotate the shoulder back so that it does click to make it comfortable again.

Is there anything that I can do?

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Claire,

With the term hyper extensive i suppose you mean hyper lax. Laxity is not uncommon especially in females and is not to be seen as a disease but a "variant". The main question is if it is a painful click. If not , i would only avoid positions of the arms which elicit the click. On the other hand if the clicks are painful you should see a professional - a shoulder specialist may be able to determine if your shoulders actually sublux (move out of the sockets) . In a case of laxity surgery is usually not indicated if it is not significantly painful

Dr Joe de Beer