Question
Posted by: Derek | 2012/04/16

Hynotherapy. Does it work?

There was a time when I was a very confident person but for the last couple of years I seem to have lost just about all of that confidence. I have to a time in my life where I need to meet new people, date again, etc and I am finding it difficult. I have been thinking about hynoptherapy and bring out my confidence but I have my family telling me its a waste of money. They have never tried it before but they just don''t believe in it. On the other hand I have met people who say they were only able to quit smoking because of hypnotherapy. Has anyone here had experience with it and what were the results?

No, in most cases it doesn't. And most people who sell their services as a "hypnotherapist" have no proper qualifications nor broad enough skills to be able to be reliably helpful for any problems at all. Some are pure quacks. I do with SA's health authorities would carry out their duty to regulate and control some of what goes on.
Also, people who seek "hypnosis" are usually seeking magic, and a solution that won't require any actual work on their own part.
Another of my concerns is that its never wise to see someone who has only one tool in his toolbox - which he uses for everything. Occasionally, hypnosis as a technique can be useful as PART of a range of interventions, IF used by a properly qualified mental health specialist, to manage a properly diagnosed problem. Not as the sole treatment given by someone who can't do anything else for you.
"Hypnotherapists" are usually brilliant at persuading people that they have been helped, even if they haven't
Especially for issues like self-confidence, self-esteem, anxiety in social situations, etc., CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) is far more likely to provide lasting benefits and this is backed by good quality research, unlike "hypnotherapy".

3
Posted by: Liza | 2012/04/17

Unfortunately hypnotherapy works just as well as a placebo - you believe that it works and voila - self-fulfilling prophecy. You will have a much bigger chance of success (scientifically proven) if you go for CBT - Cognitive behavior therapy. This type of therapy is best for changing negative mindsets/habits etc. If you don''t know where to find a therapist, call the Depression and Anxiety group helpline number at the top of the page.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Manni | 2012/04/17

I went to a hypnotherapist to give up smoking and I stopped succesfully after one session (but must admit I went with a friend and was secretly in love with him so not sure if it was will power to impress him). It also worked for him.

I suggest you go, but find a good reliable one - do your checks.

Nothing to loose!

Reply to Manni