Posted by: RSS | 2009-11-01

hydroquinone for hyperpig.

I have a mediterranean type skin tone with some hyperpigmentation on my cheeks, and shoulders as well. I went to a derm who prescribed a concoction of hydroquinone, vit c and cetomag (whatever that is) to use twice a day.
After two or so days, my skin went very red, which lasted for about a week. Is this normal, does my skin just need time to adjust? I stopped using the cream in the mean time since I don' t want to cause potential damage.
Also, I was wondering how strong this cream is. I' m worried that in addition to lightening the hyperpigmented skin, the normal skin will get lighter and I' ll end up with hypopigmented areas instead! (female in late 20' s)

According to my knowledge, you should only apply the cream to the effected areas of hyperpigmentation. You should only use the cream at night, as your skin will be sensitive to sunlight and might darken the areas of hyperpigmentation. As the cream makes your skin sensitive, it is of utmost importance to use a very high factor sunscreen during the day, while applying the cream.

If the cream causes too much irritation, re-consult your dermatologist.