Question
Posted by: Tara | 2008/07/15

hydroquinone

Hi expert can u tell me how this product works (3 percent). I understand it lightens pigment but if i hv dark marks from acne, will it not also lighten the skin in between the dark marks? Meaning yes the marks will lighten but the whole area will actually be lighter, and thus perhaps more noticeable? Surely hydroquinone does not selectively target areas of scarring/increased melanin? It is impossible for me to apply it directly on the dark marks alone - there are too many and they are close together. But now will my whole face be leagues lighter than my neck???

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Tara, thank you for the question.

Your best approach would be to consult a dermatologist, or aesthetic practitioner, that can examine the areas that concern you and advise you on the appropriate treatment options.

Considering that there are a number of small pigmented lesions that have resulted from acne, hydroquinone is not your first treatment choice. I would rather consider a combination treatment regime of:
Glycolic acid peels
Skin rejuvenation (Syneron emax or elight, Ellipse, Fraxel, etc)
Topical products that contain:
SPF that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide
Glycolic acid, Kojic acid, Lactic acid, Mandelic acid and Citric acid
Vitamin A or pro-vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin C or ascorbic acid
Licorice extract (Glycyrrhiza Glabra), Mulberry Root extract (Morus Bombycis), and Bearberry extract (Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi)
Arbutin and Arginine

1
Posted by: Tara | 2008/07/16

thanks a mill!

Reply to Tara