Question
Posted by: Lorna | 2008/06/06

hydroquinone

Hi. I'm a black lady using 3% hydroquinone with vit c in a cream base for my acne-scarred skin. I'm seeing little improvement at the four month mark. The scars are mostly very old. Do u think its a dangerous idea to try and get a stronger paste made up, maybe at 4%? How long should one give hydroquinone to work?

thanks

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lorna, thank you for the question.

One needs to differentiate between acne scarring and post-inflammatory pigmentation as both of these may be seen after acne but are treated differently.

Acne scars are best treated with combination treatments:
Topical products that contain vitamin A, vitamin C, and a combination of glycolic acid and salicylic acid.
Laser: one needs to be careful that the laser chosen is safe for your skin type and will not cause post-inflammatory pigmentation. My preference is Syneron’s Matrix IR fractional non-ablative laser.
Fillers: these may be used to lift the scars and help smooth out the depressed areas.
Punch Excision: with deep scars that have irregular borders and varying depths one can consider excision of the scars with suture closure.
Chemical peels and microdermabrasion: these treatment options may improve mild to moderate depth acne scarring.

Post-inflammatory Pigmentation:
Topical products that contain hydroquinone, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, glycolic acid, kojic acid, citric acid, mandelic acid, Bearberry extract, mulberry root extracts, licorice extract, and Arbutin.
Chemical peels: glycolic acid
Skin rejuvenation technologies that are safe for your skin type.