Posted by: Mel | 2009-01-23

Husky male lifting his leg

We have a husky male, he is about 10 months old. We took him in from somebody who did not want him (They never said why, but now we know). He is a handfull and we don' t know what to do anymore. He destroys everything he sees, he even started to chew my car. He chewed all my rosebushes and even climbed into my Aloe plants. He doesn' t digg holes but tunnels! He does not listen to you.

If he gets the chance to get into the house he lifts his leg and pee' s on our furniture and my clean washing. (He is not allowed in my house due to this)
Do you have any advice how to handle and care for a husky becuase it seems that we are doing something wrong, thus his bad behaviour.
Can you also give some advice for when they shed their hair? Will it be easier to shave all his hair untill he finishehedding?
If we take him to be sterilised, will he stop lifting his leg in our house?

Dear Mel

Hair shedding and a stubborn dog will be part of your life from now on. Have him neutered as soon as possible and this may stop him lifting his leg indoors. If you leave this to late the behaviour will a be a learnt behaviour and neutering will not help.

Posted by: Max | 2009-01-28

I' m the owner of 3 Siberian Husky' s. 2 x males and 1 x female. Age from 11 Months to 2 years old.

They' ve chewed everything from my car to my dvd collection and my back yard looks like a exploded mine field. My advise is to get him a partner like Butch said (preferbly a female) and make sure they have enough toys to keep them busy. I used empty 2lt coke bottles and since then they haven' t chewed anything else. You can also put food in the bottles to make it more apealing for them to play with and keep them interested in it. Try to keep them busy with different kind of toys or they will find something else to play with if they get bored with the old toy. As for the holes you can use their " poo" . If you see a hole put their " poo"  in it. They shouldn' t dig that hole any further. Tried it and it worked for me. Husky' s has alot of energy and I recommend playing with them atleast for half an hour a day or taking them for a walk or somepalce they can just run free (only do this if your husky learned to obey you otherwise you may be one husky short)
The good news is they do start to settle down after about 18 months.
Good luck.

Reply to Max
Posted by: butch | 2009-01-26

Stop arguing - I have a beautiful Siberian husky and she is very well behaved - from experience get him another playmate and he will be fine -I have a german sheperd and my husky adores her and plays with her -they must have company

Reply to butch
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-24

Thanks for that site reference - does look interesting.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-24

For the record: I am totally aware that that ' awful book'  isn' t a scientific treatise, but it is an undeniable fact that most people don' t want to read scientific treatises anyway. In an academic sense, you can certainly rip it to shreds... but the biggest thing in its favour is that it is accessible to ordinary people, in the sense that they can understand it, and it also does take the focus off the ever-present tendency to anthropomorphism, and onto the fact that dogs have their own modus operandi, and it' s better if we learn to work with that, rather than make the dogs fit a human model.

Please don' t confuse a very handy and useful and helpful book with a scientific document - we aren' t all conducting professional experiments.

Better still - write your own book, in easy peasy language, that both helps people and meets your strict academic standards. I will even undertake to buy it if you do!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Behaviourist | 2009-01-24

Please don' t read that awful book or follow its advice - it will likely make the situation worse. There isn' t a behaviour expert on the planet who would agree with what it says.

If you want useful help, either see a behaviour specialist or go to dogstardaily dot com (Dr Ian Dunbar and Kelly Gorman' s site) and you will find a gigantic resource of free information which includes advice from many of the world' s top experts. Good luck.

Reply to Behaviourist
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-23

Yep, exactly what Carol said. Provided you do all that, take heart - they' re awful (specially males!) until they' re around 18 months or so - then they start settling down. Testing their strength, etc - they mustn' t win against you, ever.

Try to get Pam Whyte' s book called Living with an Alien. Read it, and you' ll understand how their minds work.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-23

Welcome to puppyhood. The trouble is with huskies ..they tend to be " fashionable"  dogs. My neighbour has one therefor I must have one etc.

And they are handfuls..I have never had one, but I have friends who do .. and sheesh.

Your boy needs to be neutered, and he needs to go to puppy school. He needs toys, and he needs to be played with .

Reply to Carol