Question
Posted by: Gordon | 2011/02/07

husky attacking cats

2 year old Husky has killed 2 of my neighbours cats - aggressive to other dogs / cats - will she now remain a cat killer or can I train her to control the urge?....

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Gordon, that she has already killed cats will make it very difficult to change, but with proper desensitizing, counter conditioning, rehabilitation to other dogs and you becoming higher in the hierarchy it can be greatly helped.

I really do feel that you need some professional help which will help with the reactive behaviour to other dogs as well.

When we look at any behaviour that a dog is exhibiting, we always try to determine the reason why this is happening, and without asking you countless questions, I wont be able to determine why, which is another reason why you need professional help.

I would imagine that the dog did not attend puppy class and continued socialization? Another factor could be that the dog is bored and frustrated, Huskies especially are born workers and need to do what they were bred for, and if the dog is not receiving sufficient exercise and stimulation, this could be a factor as well.

I would suggest asking your vet for the name of a behaviourist or else contact the animal behaviour consultants and look for an accredited behaviourist in your area.

Good luck and if you need help getting in touch with somebody to help you, please let me know. Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/02/07

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert