Question
Posted by: Yvette King | 2011/05/04

husky

My 7 month old female husky is constantly mounting our 10 year old female labrador. I don''t know why. The husky has been spayed. Why is she doing this? Can I do anything to get her to stop this?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Yvette, nice to hear from you and this really can be embarring! It could well be that there is a certain amount of hierarchy/status coming about and that the husky is mounting to show her dominance.
If the lab is intact, this is even more likely. Additionally, if you are paying attention to this behaviour by shouting etc, you are actually reinforcing the behaviour - to a dog attention is attention whether negative or positive.
Another point could be that the dog is bored, furstrated or anxious and this behaviour is calming her down.
Without seeing the ineraction, it is hard to say what is causing it. What you can do is to make sure the dogs are receiving adequate mental,
physical and social stimulation by way of:-
a. Interactions with human family.
b. Mental stimulation by way of lots of chewy toys to get stuck into, games such as hideing toys etc and physical stimulation (which will also supply mental stimulation) by way of at least 4/5 walks a week.
If you see her starting to mount, disctract her and give her something else to do.
I the above does not work, please let me know and i will give you something else to try. Good luck!

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/05/05

a. Interactions with human family.

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert