Posted by: lilo | 2009-09-30

husbands family and my kids

I am a very protective mom, the rule is that my children aged 8 and 5 are not allowed to travel in a vehicle if my husband or I are not present the other is that no family members are to take the children out without my husband or I this rule applies to both sides of the family and friends.

My family although dont like it too much are happy to comply , husbands sisters (not married) and mother are constantly badgering my husband about it which leads to us arguing cause instead of him just saying No he says he will find out.

I have always told our parents and siblings that they are always welcome to visit the children at home even if my husband or I are at work my family does but not my husbands.

My husband agrees with this is applied to my family and friends but cannot bring himself to say no to his family.
This is getting quite annoying as I dont see why I have to continuously explain myself.

Interesting policies. It sounds as though you don't trust any other mmbers of your family to look after your kids safely. Is this a general belief, or is it basd on previous bad experiences ? Can you explain it to them ? It must feel insulting to them, and if based on other reasons, it'd be fair to explain that its not personal. It sounds as if you explain what your rules are, but not WHY they are as they are.
They may be puzzled --- apparently you are happy for your family to be with your children, without your presence, so long as the kids are in your home --- but not if they are at a family member's home ? This does't sound entirely reasonable

Posted by: Lilo | 2009-10-02

No , My kids do not sleep in glass cages , and if my sister in laws had their own kids I will probably be a lot more relaxed on this rule with them.

I must say yes it may seem unreasonable but these are my kids and I have an unrelentless need to protect them , they are 8 and 5 sending them off with an uneasy feeling just does not more sense to me.

As hapiness has mentioned , I will not want to learn the hard way.

Reply to Lilo
Posted by: happiness | 2009-10-01

Nothing wrong with protecting our kids. If we don' t who will?
Its a crazy worl out there and we don' t want to find out the hard way.

Reply to happiness
Posted by: Pam | 2009-10-01

I understand where you coming from. I also don' t let my children get in the car with anyone. although I am not so strick I will always make sure they are safe. I allow them to travel with family members BUT insist on a car seat and safety belt.

I am sure your husbands family will make sure your kids are safe when with them and look after them. Maybe just try it once for your kids sake and them you will maybe realise that you are not the only one who can look after them.

Reply to Pam
Posted by: Gosh | 2009-10-01

You sound like a freak! Do your kids sleep in glass cages too?

Reply to Gosh