Question
Posted by: DeeDee | 2011/11/25

Husband wants to resign

My husband is very unhappy in his job and he wants to resign at the end of the year. He wants to do a few short causes next year so that his cv can look more attractive. I will fully stand by him as his work has really made him depressed. We have worked out our finances and we will be able to cope (just make it). But I''m very nervous and scared, i have so many what if''s. Like the job market is so tight, will he be able to get a job even though he has qualifications and not experience, he plans to study for about 6 months. I feel he should continue working and studying part time, BUT I know he is unhappy and I cannot stand to see him like that. We have never done this before and I guess I''m just scared.

Please advise

Short periods of work don't look impressive on one's CV. Is it wise for him to decide to resign even though he apparently doesn't have another job to go to ? Why not start taking the courses while looking for a happer job ?
Also, WHY is he unhappy at work ? Many people are, but has he discussed this with the HR people at work, to see if it can be improved while he's there ?

4
Posted by: IX | 2011/11/25

It is best to try and sort the unhappiness out at work. if this can''t be done he must continue to do his job to the best and seek alternate employment while working. Once you stop and sit at home you lose momentum and unemplyment is very high and the economy is not doing all well with the global issues in the euro zone. hang in until you find anothetr job. Just to get buy financially each month is not good and what if there is unexpected expenses. what about medical costs etc.
Think twice, take a break and a step back before a final decision is made.

Reply to IX
Posted by: Romany | 2011/11/25

I agree. DO NOT RESIGN... Unemployment is very very high and 6 months may just turn into 6 years.
Work and study, thats the way to go.
Many (probably most...) people are unhappy in their jobs but hve no choice in the matter.
Nope, he has to stick it out, work and study and help with the expenses....

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Motlalentwa | 2011/11/25

Six months is a very short time when you are still working, and a very long time when unemployed. What I am trying to say is that why not do the short courses while working and think of looking for another job after completing the short courses.

Reply to Motlalentwa