Question
Posted by: Nicolette | 2008/09/29

Husband threatened suicide

A week ago I told husband that I' m leaving him. We' ve been having troubles for about 3 years now. I was very calm and told him I' ll be leaving. He then went and got my gun and put it (loaded) against his head, threatening to shoot himself. I got such a fright that I told him I' m sorry and that I didn' t want to leave.
For the past week things have been wonderful. We sat down together after the incident and talked about the stuff that' s bothering us. We even worked through a few " old"  problems and saw how childish we' ve been.

The thing is, his dad commited suicide when husband was 12.

I' m so worried now. What will I do if he decides one day to do it? I won' t be able to live without him. He doesn' t want to go for any type of therapy (says it' s a waste of money). How do I help him?

A terrible situation to face. He may have been sincere, opr temporarily panicking, or bluffing, but one can't safelt bet that someone is bluffing. However, such emotionaly blackmail isn't acceptable, either. As you have begun working on issues between you, persuade him to join you in more formal mariage counsellign to do so more productively, effectively and lastingly. Point out that as things have improved so much even with your efforts together, it would be no waste of money to do this properly and more lastinglty