Posted by: Desperate | 2008-11-28

Husband severely depressed

I hope you can help me. My husband has been without a job for almost a year now, not for lack of trying. He has a masters degree in his field with valuable experience. He is in the prime of his life and willing to work for anything. Ive personally sent his cv to almost 20 institutions and him even more. Out of all these he only received two call backs of which he went to the final interviews and then he just never hears from them again. He has reached the end of his rope and i don' t know how to deal with it. I have tried to be positive, i encourage him but he has lost all hope. He has become very aggresive and negative and we fight all the time. How do I deal with him? Please help me?

If he never hears from any firm or institution after a final interview, that's extremely rude and unprofessional of them. He must be feeling stressed, panicky, and discouraged. Give him emotional support and encouragement, and make it clear how valuable he still is to you. Maybe he should explore the possibility of some voluntary work in a field where his expertise might be helpful --- helps him keep busy, feel better, keep his skills from geting rusty, and can even help to make contacts that can be useful in finding a job

Posted by: disenchanted | 2009-01-10

I agree with anon, I am a severely depressed husband, in a totally different, but similiar situation (now I sound crazy) You need to bring him up in other ways and make sure that he remains, or once again becomes the man of the house even if he is not the breadwinner. Make him feel loved and appreciated, Maybe you should also stop doing the job hunting for him, as it makes him feel even more worthless. If he is the expert he will know how to find a job himself. Be less assertive and maybe even be submissive, don' t let him feel threatened, make him feel that he has endless love and support then you will win GOOD LUCK!!!

Reply to disenchanted
Posted by: DW | 2008-12-01

I know what it is like to be without a job. Go hire a movie called " The Secret" , might help motivate him again, might even help him to decide on starting his own business and becoming very sucessfull. I am considering starting my own next year.

Reply to DW
Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-28

He is feeling inferior as a man, He needs your support as much as possible. Make him feel worthy in other ways...
What he is feeling is normal

Posted by: Best | 2008-11-28

" Hope is like a road in the country  there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence."  Simply meaning "  tell him not to give up now, Pray to God and ask for help from people, many hands are better than one.

It will happen soon just hang in there and seek guidence from God.

All the best

Reply to Best