Posted by: Angel | 2009-10-06

Husband is depressed, wouldn' t seek help

I think my husband might be depressed. He' s very stressed at work, gets angry or frustated easily &  just sits in front of the television whole day.
This is not how I know my husband. He used to help me with the chores &  would play with our 2 year old daughter. Now, we might as well be invisible! He is known to be a people' s person with a great sense of humour - the life of every party - now he does not even want to go out anymore.
I feel as if I am a single mother with an extra child. I try not to put more pressure on him &  do all the chores, see to our baby, etc. I also work so it is taking its toll on me as well. I think he needs help but he refuses to 1. speak about this feelings to anyone &  2. admit that he needs help. I even suggested I go with him. What more can I do from my side?
PS. He does not believe in " taking pills"  - any pills.
Please help!

From the sound of it, he may well be depressed, and could benefit from proper treatment for it. But first of all, of course, he needs to be properly assessed and get a proper diagnosis --- best of all from a local shrink, or at least from a good GP or clinic. Have you talked calmly with him about these changes you have noticed, and how much they worry you ? Explain that it shouldn't be about "believing" in medicines, but having a proper expert checklup and taking good expert advice, so as to getg better, for the sake of himself, you and the child.