Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2010/04/19

Husband High Blood Pressure and Cholestrol

Hello Diet Doc,

My husband had a physical at work today and was told he has High Blood Pressure and Cholestral (mark 6). The nurse told him he has to see a doc to sort out. Please can you advise what diet my husband needs to follow to sort this out. He is overweight, unfotunatly we have both been on a protein diet and nurse has said this may have effected it. We both need to change our eating habits.

Dear Cindy
High-protein diets are also usually high-fat diets, which can have a negative effect on cholesterol. Because your hubby has 3 problems (raised cholesterol, hypertension and overweight), I would recommend that you both consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out individual diet prescriptions for you and hubby that address these multiple problems. Doing regular exercise like going for walks together every day for 30 min or more will also improve weightloss and help to control the blood pressure.

1

Dear Cindy