Posted by: Alison | 2012-11-04

Husband has genital warts

My husband has genital warts (from a previous partner years ago). He''s on algara, and we havent had sex in months. (and used condoms for a few months before he noticed it really early).
I have started the HPV vaccine. Could you tell me is he likely to clear up? and what chance is there of the warts re-surfacing. I am not keen on having sex at all, and even though if the doctor says it clear we will always use a condom. But i am scared on any change of contacting it. Please help!
thanx, Alison

I think that with the HPV vaccine and using condoms, you will have done everything reasonably possible to avoid contracting HPV.
However, the HPV vaccine does not cover all the differnt types of HPV and thus may not prevent all types of cervical cancer. Also if you were infected with HPV before completing the course, you would obviously not be protected.
Likewise, with condom use, the protection is not 100%.Even if a man wears a condom it's only going to cover his penis, not his entire genital area. Because of this, skin to skin contact between the woman and man still happens during the act of sex. So, it's still possible to contract the virus even if condoms are used.
These risks would be small and have to be compared with the impact on your relationship if you refrain from sex.