Question
Posted by: Elaine | 2011/02/04

Husband contemplating suicide

My husband is contemplating suicide because of work stress. He cannot cope with stressful situations. He feels he cannot resign and that he is too old to get another job. He has a history of depression but takes medication regularly. The medication, however, has side effects, eg severe tinnitus, sleeplessness. He changed medication several times already after seeing a psychiatrist. He does mind talking like this in front of our young son which upsets me a lot. I feel he is selfish and wants the easy way out, but I do not say that because it will only make the situation worse. I do not know how to deal with this and how to protect my son from this (6 years old). This is not the first time that he has this kind of talk. I feel he tries to manipulate me emotionally, but am scared for my son''s mental wellbeing.

Tinirus is an unusual side-effect of ADs. Talking about despair and suicide in front of a child is abusive and unfair. He sounds manipulative and selfish. As Purple says, call his psychiatrist, inform him of these unpleasant developments, and suggest he ask your husband to come for an urgent re-assessment.

3

Posted by: Soul | 2011/02/04

Purple is right and your husband is being selfish, your son is only 6 and that is alot for a 6 year old to carry around with him. Your hubby needs to stop talking like this infront of him your son shouldn''t be worring about his dad wanting to end his life. Your hubby needs to start thinking about the effect this is having on your son.

Reply to Soul
Posted by: Purple | 2011/02/04

Probably a good idea to phone his psychiatrist and explain the current situation, sounds like he needs to go back urgently.

When your son is in bed tonight, tell your husband that he is being extremely selfish speaking like that in front of your son and he is frightening him and that it needs to stop.

Reply to Purple