Posted by: Nats | 2011-05-23

Husband and Wife????

Hi all

What I would like to now is: what does the law see as living together as husband and wife without being married.

The problem is that my mother has been living with a good for nothing piece of meat for the last two years (while still married to my dad). In her degree they stipulated that if she get re-married or lives as husband and wife the maintenance will fall away.

Any info will be appreciated.

Expert ImageFamily law expert

There is no such thing in SA law as a common law marriage.

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
A:1st Floor, 56 Shortmarket Street, Cape Town, 8000
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323

Posted by: Romany | 2011-05-31

Your mother will NEVER be seen as the " good for nothing piece of meat''s"  wife as long as she is married to your father as more than one marraige is against the law of South Africa.

Reply to Romany