Question
Posted by: Shelby | 2010/04/20

Husband addicted to internet game

My husband is addicted to an internet game and plays it 90% of the day. He does not help out with household chores or with our 2 small children. We run a business together, or we used to, but he has lost complete interest in it and just plays this game the whole time. I have been trying to keep juggling everything but am quite exhausted. I collapse into bed at 8pm and sometimes don''''t even eat supper or wash myself. Our business took a knock with the recession and he said he is no longer going to work as hard as he did because look where it got him. I have been trying to give him space and let him play this game, it has now been 8 months. I wonder if he will gain interest again when things pick up in the business or if he will be lazy like his dad and let the wife do everything. Should I keep on with the patience, is this just a phase or it is depression?

If he truly plays this 90 % of the day, that is indeed excessive. And where it is to the detriment of his social relationships, with you and the kids, and his household duties, as well as his work duties, that is indeed highly excessive. I agree with Maria that this sounds like Depression, which would be likely to respond to proper treatment. If he saw his father give up like this, and get away with it, he may not be tempted to resume normal service again. And economic hard times are a basis for working harder and more ingeniously, not for giving up and playing games. I doubt that this is merely a phase - but it should respond to counselling and perhaps medication, once he can be persuaded to recognize this and seek the treatment he needs

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010/04/20

Sounds a lot like depression to me - hiding out from the world. If your husband is open to the idea it would be good to go for an assessment by a psychologist. Otherwise if you have a good gp that you trust, call him/her and discuss the problem, then encourage your husband to go for a checkup. Take care.

Reply to Maria