Question
Posted by: Daleen | 2009/10/23

Husband

Hi doc, my husband is really down it seems like a mid life crisis but he is 34 years old. He keeps complaining that he hasnt reached what he wanted to and would want more money to do the things he wants to. He is very silent and dont show much emotion. I started giving him St Johns wort and it really helped but when he doesnt drink it for a week he becomes depro again. He doesnt want to go see a psyciatrist. Can I just continue to give him St Johns Wort or should I try and convince him to go see a psyciatrist? He doesnt have any suicidal ideas that I know of?

Whatever a "mid-life crisis" is, it doesn't run according to the calendar, and can happen at a wide range of ages. Sounds like a significant part of the problem lies in the areas where a counsellor / therapist could help best, especially if using CBT methods, as they lie within his hopes, plans, values, and so on. There could also be a degree of Depression underlying this, and his response to the Wort suggests this. But he would best be seen by a psychiatrist or at least a good GP in the first place, for a proper detailed assessment and a discussion of treatment options, which could include stronger antidepressant medication and CBT counselling.
Discuss this with him. Some folks, especially men, feel it's 'weak" to accept such help, rather than recognizing it, as they should as an equivalent to accepting the temporary wearing of a plaster cast when they hav broken a limb

1