Question
Posted by: Lee | 2012-08-28

Hunter of everything

We have adopted a dog over a year ago. She is very friendly, loving and a real chatter-box.
the problem is that she successfully hunts all day - birds, moles and even chameleons. I never knew we had so many chameleons on our property until she came home. We also have a jack-russel and a ridgeback so she is not in want of company. While they nap or when they''re tired of playing she hunts. I find it very sad. She is well-fed and gets and demands lots of attention. We get beautiful birds visiting our garden and meeting their end there.
What can we do to stop her?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Lee, from what you say, it sounds like your dog has a very high prey-drive. This is difficult to change as the behaviour in itself is self rewarding to the dog. I have put in a link to an article on Chasing behaviour for you to read and I would also suggest the following:
1. Plenty of exercise outside the yard
2. Varied chew toys left at home to entertain the dog
3. Look at taking the dog to classes that cater for its breed. this will take care of the instinct to chase and be done in a proper manner.
4. Have plenty of games of frisbee, balls etc with the dog.
5. Teach the dog the 'leave' cue and an excellent recall for when it does give chase. There are articles on these topics on the site as well. Good Luck and link is http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/chasing-behaviour-a.html
Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012-08-30

1. Plenty of exercise outside the yard
Thanks Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert