Question
Posted by: Carol | 2011/05/17

Hungry toddler

My 16 month old daughter has an enormous appetite. She will eat a bowl of food i.e. chicken, rice &  veggies, followed by fruit &  yoghurt and an hour later she''ll be hungry again. I have taken to giving her Pronutro before she goes to bed, so that she sleeps, otherwise she yells until we feed her.

Is this normal? Is it ok to give her Pronutro virtually every day?
She weighs 12kgs.

Regards,
Carol

Dear Carol
I would recommend that you have your 16-month-old daughter assessed by a Paediatrician and/or a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). They will have to check her weight and height to see if she is overweight and also determine what is causing her to be constantly hungry. Her weight is already lose to that of a 3-year-old child, so it is important to get some expert help before she becomes obese. Constant hunger in a well-fed child is also a signal that there may be an underlying health problem.
So please take your lassie to be examined ASAP.

1

Dear Carol