Posted by: Anoni | 2009-07-20

Hungry preggy

Hi Dr

I am 9 weeks pregnant and constantly hungry, Now im not skinny as is (65kgs, 1.61m tall).

I must admit that at least I cannot stand unheatly foods at the moment, nothing fatty, oily, sweet, pastries etc. I also cannot really stand meat or fish at the moment

I prefer fruits, veg and rye breads, yogurts, water etc.

I know that in the first trimester my kj intake should not really increase, but I am sooo hungry all the time, and it does help with the nausea a bit.

Example today I' ve had
Oats (no butter, 1 sugar)
Yogurt (low fat)
Slice of rye bread with cottage cheese
Salad with little bit if pasta, chunks of chicken breast, tomato, cucumber etc
Dried fruit (not too much - about a palm full)
By dinner time I am usually too nauseous or sleepy to eat

Do you think I am setting myself up for excess weight gain? I used to eat about half of this a day, but more unheatly options.

Dear Hungry Preggy
Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy! Your nausea should improve after the first trimester of your pregnancy at about 12 weeks. The food intake you describe will not lead to weight gain, but I would urge you to have a bit more fat-free or low-fat yoghurt, cottage cheese or milk because you and baby need 1300 mg of calcium a day to ensure that your baby develops strong bones and teeth and that you don't develop a calcium deficiency. If you are not eating any lean meat or fish then you may also develop an iron deficiency, so please for your own sake and that of your baby, do consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet for you that prevents excessive weight gain during pregnancy, but still provides enough nutrients to ensure that you will both be healthy. Tips to keep the nausea at bay are to suck an ice cube or a slice of lemon or eat a dry biscuit. To eat small, low-fat meals as you are already doing, also helps.
In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and read the articles
on 'Pregnancy'.
Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy.